Friday, November 28, 2008

Being single during the Holidays.

All I want for Christmas is somebody, anybody!

By Blanca | Friday, November 28, 2008, 07:55 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Happy Black Friday! First things first: Good news! The dessert I prepared for Roland’s family’s Thanksgiving was a huge hit. I thought at first everyone was humoring me, but when I saw none of my pumpkin roll was left, I breathed my first sigh of relief. And as I hoped, everyone welcomed me with open arms. A great holiday!

On Wednesday as I baked the pumpkin dessert, I listened to Christmas songs, most notably Mariah Carey’s holiday album from years ago. Throw in some Nat King Cole, some Harry Connick Jr., some Bing Crosby and even Amy Grant’s ancient album. (My mother often played that record, so it has some nostalgia for Blanca.)

Many of the songs, like Mariah’s “All I Want for Christmas,” center around the concept of missing an Ex during the holidays, or perhaps just wanting a significant other with whom to share the special times.

I was thinking about this as a girlfriend of mine called me Wednesday from the airport, complaining that she was seated across from two lovebirds canoodling as they traveled home for the holidays. She mentioned that she’s particularly down spending the day as a single woman watching others in love.

What is it about the holidays that make us a want a partner? Why isn’t just spending it with family and friends enough? For those of you who are happy and content as strong single folk, do you find your mood changes once the mistletoe is hung?

Click photo for video.

No comments: