Friday, March 16, 2012

Barriers to buffer I-20 noise

Photo credit: http://www.mto.gov

--
From :http://www.crossroadsnews.com

Barriers to buffer I-20 noise
The construction of the collector/distributor lanes will not only ease traffic congestion at the I-20/I-285 interchange in Decatur – it also will bring traffic closer to scores of homes and apartments along the 4.7-mile project.

To buffer residents from increased traffic noise, more than 3.78 miles of sound barriers will be erected as part of the $30.9 million project.

Georgia Department of Transportation spokesman Mark McKinnon said sound barriers will account for $8.05 million, or 26 percent, of the project’s total cost.

The 8- to 20-foot barriers will be erected along GDOT’s existing rights of way boundaries and no additional rights of way were acquired.

Just over three miles of the sound barriers will be constructed along I-20 eastbound between the I-285 ramp and the I-20 Wesley Chapel Road exit to muffle traffic noise for residents in the Rainbow Creek subdivision and on the other side of the Wesley Chapel I-20 entrance ramp to shield residents of Village at Wesley Chapel apartments and an unfinished subdivision on Minola Road that backs onto the interstate.

The construction of the additional lane on the 1-20 and I-285 entrance ramp will bring traffic closer to the homes along Raindrop Court, Rainbow Creek Drive, Treasure Court, Rainover Trail, Star Lane, Bright Court, Shadowbrook Drive, and Rainwater Court.

Read more: CrossRoadsNews - Barriers to buffer I 20 noise

No comments: