It’s last call for the Cyclorama in Grant Park, where the monumental Battle of Atlanta painting has been on view, in more than one location, since 1893.
After business June 30, the city of Atlanta will close the attraction’s doors, and the Atlanta History Center will begin preparations to move the 358-foot-by-30-foot, 5 ton-plus circular painting to its Buckhead campus.
Construction on the 23,000-square-foot Lloyd and Mary Ann Whitaker Cyclorama wing is expected to begin there this fall, with a projected opening in early 2017. Some 3,268 square feet of imagery that has been missing for generations will be reincorporated.
In July 2014, Mayor Kasim Reed announced the Cyclorama’s planned relocation and restoration. The history center confirmed that it had raised $32.2 million from private donors and philanthropies. including an endowment to ensure that Cyclorama artifacts are maintained at no cost to city taxpayers.
The Grant Park building that housed the painting since 1921 will be developed by Zoo Atlanta into a community event space linked to a new African Savanna