Saturday, June 7, 2008

WHERE CAN I FIND IT?



WHERE CAN I FIND IT?

By Sabine Morrow
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/07/08

Q: I'm hoping you can help me find Rotel Chili Fixin's. My husband and I love anything with Rotel in it, but the chili starter is very good and very easy to use. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it lately.

KIM FOSTER, Atlanta

A: Rotel makes a variety of canned tomato products that will curl your toes with incendiary heat, but the Chili Fixin's are harder to find than the other Rotel products. However, you can stock up if you know where to look. Check out IGA Foods, 2746 Clairmont Road, Atlanta, 404-634-2833, and you'll find Rotel Chili Fixin's for $1.29 for a 10-ounce can.

Recently, a reader from Ball Ground asked where she could find Octagon bar soap in her area. My searches were unsuccessful, so I asked readers if they knew where this old-fashioned soap could be found. We received many responses, but hit the jackpot with Helen MacLean, who also lives in Ball Ground. She buys the soap for 65 cents at McFarland's IGA grocery store, 261 Marietta Road, Canton, 770-479-1562. A big thanks to all the readers who responded.

Q: After two trips to Moscow, my wife and I fell in love with kvass (or KBAC in the Cyrillic alphabet). We've been buying Ochakovo brand kvass at the Buford Highway Farmers Market, but lately they haven't had it. Do you have any idea where we can find this refreshing, not-too-sweet beverage? Many thanks.

DON CELY, Doraville

A: Don, I have the perfect place for you, and it's really not that far away. Since kvass is a very popular beverage in Eastern and Central European countries, it stands to reason that a place called New Odessa European Market and Deli would stock this soft drink. In fact, this little storefront at 2793 Clairmont Road, Atlanta, 404-321-3544, keeps more than a dozen brands of kvass on hand. Prices depend on brands and sizes. The shop also sells freshly baked goods, sausages and cheeses as well as a wide variety of Eastern European chocolates and wines.

Q: For the past several months I have been unable to locate Cardini's Fat Free Caesar dressing. I can find the regular and the light but not the fat free, which has significantly fewer calories. I previously purchased it at Publix and Kroger. Please help.

SANDRA SMITH, e-mail

A: Ingredients in Cardini's Fat Free Caesar dressing include water, corn syrup solids, distilled vinegar, salt and Parmesan cheese. You can find 12-ounce bottles of the fat- free dressing for $3.19 at DeKalb Farmers Market, 3000 Ponce de Leon Ave., Decatur, 404-377-6400. I've also seen the dressing at a Publix in Buckhead, so if it's available at one Publix, there's a good chance a store in your neighborhood can get it for you if you ask the manager. It's worth a try.

Q: Please help me find Glee peppermint gum for my boyfriend. It's his favorite gum and I find it occasionally but not on a regular basis. I'd like to stop searching all over town for this gum. Can you find it for me please?

PEGGY MORRIS, Atlanta

A: Ages ago, gum was made from chicle, which is the sap of the sapodilla tree that grows in the rain forests of Central America. It also explains the name Chiclets, the gum that Adams made. These days, you don't find many chewing gums that use chicle as a base, but Glee prides itself in turning out a chewing gum made with natural ingredients. In fact, Glee is a vegetarian gum without artificial preservatives, flavors, colors or sweeteners. You'll find plenty of Glee gum at Trader Joe's, 931 Monroe Drive, Atlanta, 404-815-9210. They're stacked at the cash registers. A box holding 18 little green squares of gum costs 79 cents.

Having trouble finding a particular item? We'll try to help you locate it. Because of the volume of mail, we cannot track down every request. Write to us at Buyer's Edge Find It, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, P.O. Box 4689, Atlanta, GA 30302; e-mail buyersedge@ajc.com (please include your name, the city you live in and a daytime phone number); or call 404-582-7642.

No comments: