Monday, March 2, 2009

Wordsmith's Books Announce they are Closing


One Last Time
By Zachary Steele


I've pondered how to start this, but this is the best I can come up with. There is no great way to begin the end of a dream, and there is no gentle way to state that finality is upon you. That said, I regret to announce that, as of Monday, March 2nd, 2009, Wordsmiths Books will close its doors for good. I don't do this willingly, and I would love to say that there were avenues of exploration yet to wander, possibilities that could avert this outcome, but that would be untruthful. I have explored every possibility open to me, but the sheer magnitude of the decline in sales alone (on the heels of our efforts to right the boat) from our current economic downturn has long since evaporated the fumes. Frankly put, there's nothing left to make the engine go, and sitting on the side of the road with a thumb out doesn't seem to earn you much grace as a business.

It had been my hope to leave more of a gap between the announcement and the closing, or to perhaps discuss it with everyone as the date approached, but that possibility just was not open to me. For all of the things I may regret or wish to offer an apology for, that would be the most prominent. So, to all of our loyal customers, to those who have followed our journey, to those who offered their support when it was needed the most, I apologize that I could not fulfill a more lasting obligation to you. I apologize for falling short in this endeavor. Unfortunately, we are in a period in which it is more difficult to produce the services you would like to offer without losing your shirt, and far more challenging to meet the demands on a daily basis. Not impossible, but difficult nonetheless.

For 2 years, Wordsmiths Books has been recognized for its events, for its atmosphere, and for its venture into a new media that stretches well beyond traditional marketing methods. From a purely idealistic point of view, we achieved what we had hoped to achieve. We left our mark. Hopefully, it will be one that is remembered fondly. I'm not going to revisit the authors or musicians we staged, nor am I going to tell you tales of my favorite moments, or list our accolades, because that would just be indulgence on my part, and I won't presume to force that on you. If you wish to hear me ramble on, or if you wish to pass along your thoughts, you can still reach me via email. I'll do my best to respond to you in a timely manner, and answer any questions that you might have.

Before signing off, I would like to wish my fellow independents well in their journey. To Little Shop of Stories, Eagle Eye, Bound to Be Read, The Blue Elephant, Outwrite Books, Charis, and Acapella, I wish you good luck on your journey. May your days be filled with profit and your businesses thrive for many years to come. To our customers, I say thank you for your support, and thank you for allowing me this opportunity to serve you.

Time to turn the page.

No comments: