Sunday, April 5, 2009

Bailey's Shoe Shop - circa 1959




Bailey's Shoe Shop was located at 142 Sycamore St. Decatur, GA.
Est. in 1904 it was the oldest Decatur business in continuous operation when it closed it's doors.

They once would deliver your shoes by motorcycle,
unheard of today.

My Mom remembers when she was a little girl that she once ordered an ice cream cone and candy bar from a local drug store in Decatur and they delivered it to her at her home.
Now that's what I call service. (Fast Service, because the ice cream cone had not melted.)
Maybe I will try that one day.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what stands there now to give me a reference to where it is. i don't know the streets that well. thanks.

Next Stop...Decatur said...

This strip of stores were torn down when Marta moved in. The Marta Plaza is now there.

Anonymous said...

That's my grandfather standing behind the motorcycle. However, I suspect the picture is earlier than 1959 as I don't remember the shop having a motorcycle during my lifetime.
Freddy Bailey
Decatur, Georgia

Anonymous said...

That's my grandfather as well and I don't remember the motorcycle either.
Cecille Davis Cown

Anonymous said...

I would love to know where the picture came from and possible get a copy of the original.

T. E. Davis
Covington, GA