Wednesday, July 2, 2008

City living vs. the burbs

By Jennifer Crouse
For the Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/02/08

Metro Atlanta can be defined by two lifestyles, urban and suburban, as separated and delineated by the asphalt ring of I-285. Many people believe they can describe their lives simply by stating where they live: inside or outside the Perimeter.

We asked four metro Atlanta residents to sum up what they like best about where they live, and how that geography affects their lives.

INSIDE THE PERIMETER

Reena Mattupurath

KIRKWOOD

1. Location, location

"The best reason for living in the city is you're never more than 10, 15 minutes away from anything. My fiance and I have friends all over the city and outside the Perimeter. Whether we're meeting friends out or having a get-together at our house, we're centrally and conveniently located, so it is hassle-free."

2. Commute

"I live in Kirkwood and work in the Virginia-Highland area. My commute is 15, 20 minutes one way, and when on average most Atlantans spend 50 minutes on the road, I'm already home."

3. The arts

"There are so many different ways you can enjoy the arts in the city —- the High Museum of Art, Fox Theatre, the Atlanta Symphony and Fernbank, to name a few. The city is also rich with local establishments for independent movies and plays."

4. Restaurants

"Atlanta has so many great, unique restaurants. . . . I live a mile from Ann's Snack Bar, best burgers in town; five minutes to Decatur Square, where you'll find the best selection of beers at the Brick Store, and 10 minutes from MF Sushibar for delicious sushi and a great vibe."

5. Diversity

"Being of Asian Indian background, diversity is very important to me. In my neighborhood, I live among people of all races, economic standing and lifestyle. When I have children, I want to expose them to many different experiences and broaden their horizons."

6. Parks

"The city is surrounded by many parks. ... In addition, the city parks and neighborhoods host a variety of art festivals, art strolls and home viewings."

7. MARTA

"We use MARTA to go to sporting events at Philips Arena, the airport, the museum and Decatur Square. Not only is it convenient, but taking MARTA also saves on parking and avoids any concern over driving safely after a couple of drinks."

Melanie Rabb

CANDLER PARK

1. Porch sitting

"I like hanging out on my porch, watching people walk to the restaurants and stores at the end of my street. [On our wedding anniversary,] we spent the evening on the porch. We ... let our friends know we'd just be hanging out if they wanted to stop by."

2. Less traffic

"Living in town allows me to be close to all my jobs —- I have four or five —- so I don't have to deal with traffic. Traffic is such a waste of my time."

3. Going out

"I think intown people go out more. There is always something to go do or see that's just minutes away —- or a $5 cab ride away."

4. Restaurants

"I love the great restaurants and bars. You find more owner-operated neighborhood establishments. ... Chain restaurants are so vanilla, so expected."

5. Intown neighborhoods

"It's not a cookie-cutter city. Being a Realtor that mainly shows intown properties, I get to see all the character and history in these neighborhoods. ... And I love the festivals, like the Inman Park festival and the wine crawl in Oakhurst."

6. Shopping

"I like shopping at the small neighborhood shops and boutiques rather than going to the mall. I very rarely go to the mall because that means traffic! Shop locally and you are supporting your neighborhood."

7. Diversity

"I take pride raising my children in a city that is so diverse. There is no other city in the South like Atlanta. I love it!"

OUTSIDE THE PERIMETER

Eric Sledge

LAWRENCEVILLE

1. Convenience

"Since I work outside the Perimeter, it is more convenient for me to live OTP and be closer to where I work. It's so convenient that I often go home to eat lunch."

2. Quiet

"Little to no traffic, buffer areas between living and industrial zones and plenty of parks and other green spaces contribute to a quiet, almost bucolic living environment. This will not appeal to those seeking bright lights and nightlife."

3. Housing value

"Living OTP usually provides more living space per dollar. This allows me to pursue and exploit my hobbies and avocations. For instance, it allows me to entertain in my full-size bar and spacious home cinema."

4. Cheaper

"Where I live, the tax base is strong, resulting in lower taxes and better services. The lower taxes and cost of doing business has a ripple effect on other aspects of life —- gasoline is invariably cheaper OTP than in the city."

5. Security

"Many [OTP] law enforcement personnel live in the communities they patrol, whereas city officers tend to commute to their precincts and patrol areas in which they have little social or cultural connections."

6. Better schools

"Lower taxes and cost of living outside the Perimeter attracts an affluent demographic that places a high value on education. A strong tax base combined with an emphasis on education results in better schools, which ultimately impact property values. So, even though I do not have any children, the positive effect on property values is a desirable benefit."

7. Better "fit" for my personality

"Having been to 27 countries and visited virtually every premier city in the world, I have determined the city lifestyle and the things it offers are of little value to me. Hallmarks of city life, such as performing arts, fine dining and nightclubs, are of moderate value to me. They certainly don't warrant the expenditure and reduction in quality of life it would require for me to be close to them."

Marshall Benveniste

ALPHARETTA

1. A more tranquil environment

"We love that open feeling. We see green pastures and grasslands, a horse stable and a working mill all within a few miles from where we live. ... Living OTP allows you to connect to nature better. ITP, you're connecting with concrete and steel."

2. Simplicity

"There are fewer day-to-day hassles living OTP. Parking is easier and it's almost always free. Not to mention with less streets with Peachtree in the name, it's easier to find your way around!"

3. More economical

"Taxes are lower where we live. We have more house for our family, for way less dough than anything you could get ITP. My wife, Michelle, has made our home really attractive and comfortable, perfect for our lifestyle —- and we have plenty of room for our girls, Ava, 4, and Rayna, 2."

4. Location

"We live close to Lake Lanier, abundant parks and other recreational opportunities. The country fair is awesome! Alpharetta is a gateway to the great outdoors. The North Georgia mountains, Helen and Dahlonega are not far away, and yet we're still just up the road from Atlanta."

5. Restaurants

"Intown folks might not believe it, but we have super eateries from country cookin' to fancy dining."

6. Good schools

"The school system is great. I'm biased, of course, as Michelle is a teacher here, but truly, as parents, we want the best for our girls. They need a quality education, and I'm not sure you can get that in town without private schooling."

7. Total convenience

"Everything you need is right here. Doctors, hospitals, entertainment, shopping, culture, professional services. The only need to go ITP right now is to visit family and friends."

No comments: